Elena Shawl MKAL: Let’s Knit Together!
Are you familiar with that sensation of uncertainty, restlessness, uneasiness… the one you get when about to start something new? That’s how I am feeling today.
Actually, if I really think it out, I should not have to feel any fear, it’s a fun experience after all, but the fact that I am not that active on social media gives me all kinds of insecurities that I struggle to manage… 🙁
I have been wanting to run a MKAL (Mystery Knit Along) for one of my designs for a long time, and every time I have contemplated doing it I have found an excuse to postpone it. The truth is, if I look a bit inside myself, it doesn’t take long to find a motive: I am quite shy… A big «you can!» resonates in my head, mantra style, since I made the decision. I made up my mind, today I dive into the pool: I love to swim, so I will not postpone it any longer, no matter how scared I am of the coldness of the water 😉
This MKAL is also followed by an activity that together with Isabel, a friend, has been planned since some months ago: Entola Sevilla (Graft Sevilla). Isabel, like me, runs a lovely natural yarns store oh!lanas. We both have been talking about hosting an event that helps us share our passion with other hand knitting lovers. Something that helps us put a name on each other and to hang out for a while in good company, around a table, each with her work on her hands.
Let me explain, step by step:
MKAL: Elena Shawl, my latest design
Most people knows what it means, because most of you are ravelry users and are used to participating there, but I am aware that some of you are not ravelry users yet, and with this activity I am earnestly encouraging you sign up and join the world’s biggest knitters network.
This is all about a Mistery Project that we will all be knitting together and that we’ll share in a raverly forum thread (in English). We will try to help you there with any issues you come up with. It’s a mystery KAL because, even though you all know it’s a shawl, no one will know how the final result looks like until you have completely knit it: we’ll be releasing clues on certain dates so that you can knit along. The final clue will be released the day we meet in Sevilla, all of you who can make it, and register for the event that I will describe down below.
The pattern will be free for all of you who join the MKAL, but once finished, the edited pattern will be for sale in my ravelry store and in devanalana; all of you have finished the project and created a ravelry project will get it for free in it’s final state.
Requirements to join in
- Be a ravelry user.
- Create a project in your user profile and upload pretty pics of your progress and final result. You can use the #elenamkal hashtag in your social networks
- Subscribe to our KAL specific newsletter (only if you speak Spanish, I’m afraid). I am sure I will love the experience so I know this will be the first of many.
- Regarding the event, we are aware many of you can’t come to Sevilla the day we’ll be meeting, so you are not required to register or buy tickets, but we count on many of you to knit the last of the shawl together, sharing a snack.
- The first clue will be released on April 17th, from then on we will issue clues through ravelry updates. The last clue will be released on May 13th, the day we will meet in Sevilla. For any question you may have that we do not address on this blog post, please refer to our raverly forum thread.
- Two sizes:
- Size S: 320m / 350y (1 skein) of fingering weight yarn
- Size L: 500m / 547y (1.5 skeins) of fingering weight yarn
- 4/4,5mm (US6 or 7) with a 100 cm/ (40”) cable
Propposed Material: Kalinka 100% linen yarn, available online from Ohlanas.com and at our devanalana LYS in Sevilla. If you buy online from OhLanas, please use code ENTOLA17 at checkout to receive a 10% discount on your purchase, this is a special offer for Elena’s MKAL
ENTOLA SEVILLA (Graft Sevilla)
As we mentioned elsewhere up this post, this is a knitting lovers meeting, this first time it will take place in Sevilla.
¿What’s it about? We want to meet, get to know each other, share our passion and have a super fun day!
We will be proposing a Crafter Route around Sevilla, we will be having a yarn Showroom from both our stores, we’ll be having a very nice mid-afternoon snack (merienda) and we’ll be holding a contest for all participants. So are you curious yet? Go ahead to EventBrite where we tell you all about this Entola first edition (Spanish only, email us if you want to attend and don’t speak Spanish, we’ll arrange everything for you).
If you have questions, feel free to ask in our raverly forum thread.
That’s all for now, come over to ravelry and join us! ;).